Quito

Es un blog para describir las acciones que hacen los voluntarios de Ecotrackers en Quito por la defensa de la biodiversidad y la diversidad cultural, por el turismo comunitario inteligente o sencible y los trabajos de tesis, investigación o práctica profesional. (This blog to record the experiences of the volunteers in Quito with regards to the defense of biodiversity and cultural diversity, by means of intelligent community tourism and thesis work, research, or internships.)

Friday, July 20, 2007

Week 8

Week 8

July 20, 2007

Margaret Novak


So far, this week has been pretty interesting once again. A couple of men came in on Monday to talk about a new organization in Rio Morona. Manuel (from Kuamar), Rafael (from Santa Ines), and Orlando (from Macas) all have communities that work with Ecotrackers. However, now they will all join together in order to create a strong organization to protect the environment, the biodiversity, and the cultural diversity of the Orient. This is of utmost importance, as right now the petroleum internationals are trying to take over and destroy the region.

I have spent the past few days working on a new poster project that we are going to hang up in the office. I am taking the 8 best pictures from the Coast (including the Galapagos), the 8 best pictures from the Andes, and the 8 best pictures from the Orient (including the Amazon River) and combining them into a giant collage. I have a certain passion for photography, so it has been really fun going through all of out pictures and picking out which ones to use for the poster. I have it all laid out now, I am just waiting for a couple from the Galapagos!

Speaking of which, my cousin came into town this week and decided that she will visit her friend working with the Peace Corps over in the Galapagos. I brought this up to Max, and now I will be accompanying her to do some research for Ecotrackers! I am so excited; this will be an awesome experience!! I am going to be looking into how we can create an Information and Interpretation Center on the island of Santa Cruz. Here, we will post information about local species and environmental problems that face the Galapagos as well as other places throughout the world. I will also be taking many pictures to document the experience and to create posters of various species. I am so excited!!