Quito

Es un blog para describir las acciones que hacen los voluntarios de Ecotrackers en Quito por la defensa de la biodiversidad y la diversidad cultural, por el turismo comunitario inteligente o sencible y los trabajos de tesis, investigación o práctica profesional. (This blog to record the experiences of the volunteers in Quito with regards to the defense of biodiversity and cultural diversity, by means of intelligent community tourism and thesis work, research, or internships.)

Thursday, September 14, 2006

My experiences by the project ABEI

During 4 weeks I have worked at Hogar Infantil ABEI. I worked as an occupational therapist with children between the age of 0 - 14 years old, who have physical and/ or mental problems (for example: Down Syndrom, Cerebral Palsy, ADHD, mental retardatioin). The people at Hogar Infantil ABEI are very friendly. I enjoyed my work over there although it was hard sometimes. There aren´t as much toys as in my country, and the parents of the children aren´t as much involved in the therapy as in my country. The contact between the profesions, like physical therapy and occupational therapy, is less. For the occupational therapy it is very important that the children have a good posture while they have therapy. At ABEI aren´t enough possibilities to reach a good posture of the children, all these differences makes the working over there complicated but I learned to be creative.
I helped the occupational therapist to learn the children to use for example a hand or arm that they normally not use because of medical problems.
I´m very happy with this experience, I had a lot of fun with the children, I learned to be very patient, flexibel, Intuitive. I´ll never forget my time by Hogar Infantil ABEI.